Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Resolutions

Ready or not, Spring 2011 is about to begin!  In Seattle,we will soon have at least a couple days a week when it is accepteble to go outside, put on sunglasses (or even sunscreen??), and notice how beautiful and green everything is.  Today was almost one of those days, and it reminded me of what I am so looking forward to.  It also brought some clarity to my thoughts and goals and made me realize that I have gotten a bit off-track.  Last week I only ran twice 'because it was so rainy' and although I promised not to make MORE cookies, I found a way around it and made peanut butter balls AND vegan banana brownies instead.  Whenever my food and exercise start slipping away, I find myself slipping away with them.  So...what better than a nice long run on a semi-springy day to put it all back in perspective!  I love my runs because I get so much think-time, and here's what I thought about today:


Spring 2011 Resolutions:

1. I will run at least 4 days a week, no excuses (nope, not even rain or snow)
2. I will focus my passion for food on delicious fruit and veggie recipes (hopefully inspired by the farmer's market)


That's it!  Keep it simple, right?  So to kick things off, here's a delicious and crazy-simple recipe that I make several times a week:


Crispy Oven-Fried Broccoli

Ingredients:
Broccoli Florettes
Olive Oil
*optional: Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs

Directions:

1. Cut broccoli florettes into bite-sized pieces and put into a bowl

2. Drizzle olive oil into the bowl and mix with a spoon until the broccoli is lightly coated

3. Pour some bread crumbs into the bowl and stir with a spoon until well-mixed

4. Arrange broccoli on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10min. at 400 degrees

5. Eat right off the tray!  Or enjoy with the rest of your meal.







Today's Ingredients:
Organic Broccoli Florettes - Trader Joe's 
Organic Olive Oil - Costco
Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs - usually homemeade from our Dave's bread, but also available at Marlenes, PCC or Whole Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment