Friday, December 3, 2010

'Tis the season for Pumpkin Bread!

This Pumpkin Bread recipe has been in my family for several generations.  Not a year of my life has gone by without it. At our house, we often make it into muffins for breakfast - a great way to start the morning! 

I remember the feeling of disappointment when I discovered that pumpkin wasn't yet in the stores this October!  Surely Costco would have it, or Trader Joe's...  I had to wait a few weeks, but once it was officially in season, I went to work adapting this recipe to it's healthiest (yet still delicious) version yet.  I did my best to replace and reduce any refined flour and sugar.  I think the molasses adds an extra kick!


Pumpkin Bread Recipe:

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees


2.) Combine in mixer:
30 oz. organic canned pumpkin
3/4c. oil (I use Safflower oil)
1 1/2c. Organic Sugar (aka Evaporated Cane Juice)
1/2c. pure maple syrup
2T molasses
2T flaxseed meal




3.) Mix in a separate bowl:
2c. whole wheat flour
1c. brown rice flour
3t. baking soda
2t. sea salt
2 1/4t. cinnamon
1t. cloves


4.) Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.


**Optional: add 1cup organic raisins or dairy-free chocolate chips (despite the fact that I am a huge chocolate fan, I always add raisins to this recipe)


5.) Pour the batter into pans.  At this point, you can choose to make 2 medium loaves or 1 loaf and 1 pan of large muffins (or any other combination that you come up with)

6.) Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean.  This is about 35min for the large muffins and 75min for the loaf.

7.) Let it cool completely before slicing

I hope you enjoy the first recipe on Almost Vegan!  I would love to hear about any results or changes you make!

Martha

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I am excited to read more of your recipes. I added you to my "blog buddy list" on my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete