Easy, delicious recipes that you can feel good about!
Monday, February 21, 2011
Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes
We officially have a new weekend tradition! These yummy pancakes make us look forward to our nice, long breakfasts together on Saturday and Sunday. They are perfect for our almost two-year-old too, who can easily pace us, gobbling down 2-3 pancakes all by himself! This recipe was inspired by Tasha, aka The Clean Eating Mama, whose blog inspired me to start my own...check it out sometime! I didn't need to change it at all. I just added blueberries, one of our favorite foods.
Buckwheat is good source of protein, packing in 15g per cup of flour (as well as 12g of fiber)! It is also gluten-free. Although this recipe calls for whole wheat or spelt flour, I'm sure it would work equally well with a combination of oat and brown rice flours...in fact, I may be trying that out next time around!
1 cup whole grain buckwheat flour
1 cup whole wheat or whole grain spelt flour
2 T flax seed meal
2 T turbinado sugar (or any healthy dry sugar - I used date sugar last weekend)
3 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
2 cups almond milk
3 tsp. vegetable oil (I use safflower)
1/4-1/2 cup. water
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl
2. Add wet ingredients, except for water, and mix well. Then add water as needed.
3. Let the mixture sit for around 10min to thicken (flax seed meal needs a few minutes to set)
4. Drop batter onto a heated, oiled pan in desired-sized pancakes
5. Add blueberries right after putting the batter into the pan
6. Flip when you see the batter bubbling a little
7. Serve with a little Earth Balance and pure maple syrup! Enjoy!
Bob Mills Whole Grain Organic Buckwheat Flour - Fred Meyer Organic Whole Grain Spelt Flour - Marlene's bulk section (also available in Freddy's bulk section!) Date Sugar - Marlene's Organic Turbinado Sugar - Trader Joe's Pacific Almond Milk, original flavor - Trader Joe's or Fred Meyer Organic Golden Flax Seed Meal - Costco